Have you ever missed God or failed to obey God due to stubbornness, preoccupation, or time constraints? I would have to admit I have. Maybe we all have.
Randy Sprinkle shares a sad story about a lady who was driving to a prayerwalking practicum. She was running late. If anything interrupted her drive to the event, she would be late. As she left her house, she noticed a neighbor a few doors down; working in his front yard. She sensed the need to stop and talk to him. Running late, she did not stop. It wasn’t until the next day she learned that later in the evening of the previous day (a few hours after she was prompted to talk to him) the man took his own life. She was devastated.
God has spoken in many ways; thunder, a still small voice, dreams, and even through a donkey. Two good questions to ask ourselves would be: (1) Am I ready and willing to obey Him at all times? (2) How can I know it is God speaking? It would be good at this time to review a few truths about God.
- What is His #1 goal for us as found 2 Pet. 3:9?
- How did God speak to people in time past according to Heb. 1:1-2?
- How does He speak now?
- According to what Jesus said in John 16:7 & 13, what are two other ways He speaks to us?
- In Psa. 106:13b, there is a word about something Israel did that we can all relate to. What is that?
We need to maintain fellowship with God in the five ways we have discussed previously to know it is God speaking and not our ideas. What could the woman in the previous account have done that might have produced a different result?
- She could have rolled down her window and said, “Hello.”
- She could have asked, “Are you okay?”
- She could have asked, “Would you mind if I stop by later or tomorrow and talk to you?”
- Seek to listen to the promptings of God as you walk with Him.
- Tell Him of your willingness and readiness to hear Him.
- Ask Him to make it clear in your heart so you do not miss Him.
- If and when you have moments of resistance repent of that as it happens.
- What did you experience during your prayerwalk today?
- Did God speak to you / reveal Himself to you in anyway today?
- How did you respond?
- That no one would perish. That everyone would be saved.
- Through the prophets.
- Through Jesus.
- Through His written Word (the truth) and through the Holy Spirit.
- They failed to wait for His counsel. They rushed ahead.