Prayerwalking in the World
As we begin today, open your Bible and read Eph. 2:1-3. There we find a primary force and problem we face everyday. Did you see it? Yes, it is the world. We live in a world system that is under the sway of the evil one. When Adam and Eve chose to disobey the direct command of God, sin entered into the world (Rom. 5:12). Thus far, we can see three things going against us all day long. They are sin, the enemy, and this world system.
What are some of the evidences of the corruptness in this world system? Deception, dishonesty, abuse are just three. You can think of others. However, remember: Deception exists because people are deceptive. Dishonesty exists because people are dishonest. Abuse happens because people are abusive. They need to be delivered from the power of sin that grips them and motivates them to commit sins. They need the gospel. Read Romans 1:16-17.
- As you walk today, be mindful of the three enemies we face.
- Read Ephesians 6:10-18 and be reminded of the armor we need to wear.
- Notice people and pray for people who need to be delivered from the influence of the world and our other two enemies.
- Share the gospel as you have opportunity.
- Did you find yourself hindered as you lived life today?
- What truth did the Holy Spirit give you to confront this hindrance?
- How were you led to intercede for others today?
In Matthew 24: 12, we find the 13th sign of our Lord’s return is “The love of many will grow cold.”
This is the only place in the Bible where we have this phraseology – the love of many growing cold. This phrase speaks of something that grows cold or becomes cooler when it is acted upon. The word picture here is what happens when we blow on hot coffee or hot chocolate or hot food to cool it down. Jesus said, when the love of many grows cold, that is the last straw so to speak. How does this happen? How does love grow cold? What kind of love is this?
There are four different Greek words for love.
- Agape – self sacrificing love
- Phileo – brotherly love
- Eros – the love-making kind of love
- Storge – the love parents have for their children or pet owners have for their pets. It’s the idea of loving someone who is very close to you, but it is a different love than the other three.
Which one do you think is the love in Matthew 24:12? The word for love here is the word agape. It is self sacrificing kind of love. It is the kind of love God expressed when He sent Jesus to die for us on the Cross. The kind of love we have when we really care for people; when we care for the right things. Jesus said, when this form of love grows cold we are near the end.
How does this happen? The enemy is often referred to as the chairman of the cold water committee. He loves to bring discouragement. He loves to take away our zeal. He is the one “blowing his cold wind” of discouragement over us to cool us down.
In Matthew 24:4, Jesus began this discussion with, “Take heed that no one deceives you.” What is the primary activity of the enemy? He is deceiver of the whole world. We see this in Rev. 12:9., he is referred to as the one who “deceives the whole world.” He deceives us in many ways. He even deceives those who worship him and think they are on his team. Remember, the Bible says, “he is the deceiver of the whole world.” Next time we will see see how he does this.