Prayerwalking and Spiritual Warfare
A pattern has existed for nearly 2,000 years. From the beginning of the New Testament church, that pattern has been response and resistance. There have been and continue to be those who respond favorably and embrace Jesus as Lord and Savior. There have also been those who passively or very actively resist our Lord and His gospel message.
When we face resistance or outright opposition to the gospel, how should we respond? Some of the earliest followers of Jesus give us tremendous insight. What did Peter and John do in Acts 4 when they were told to not mention another word about Jesus?
- They answered respectfully (vv.19-20)
- They fellowshipped with believers (v.23)
- They praised God (vv.24-28)
- They sought boldness to continue (vv.29-31). This boldness has continued down through the years at various levels.
When we face opposition to the gospel message, we are in the midst of spiritual warfare. As we engage in warfare, the words of Ephesians 6:12 are vital. Read that verse and fill in the blanks. We do not fight with ____ _____ but with ____ forces. The opposition we face is often manifested in other people but we do battle with the enemy and evil forces. One of the ways we do battle is on our knees and on our feet in prayer. There are several truths to remember as we engage the enemy and his territory.
- Do not believe Satan. He will lie to you (Gen 3:1-8)
- Do not carry on a conversation with him (vv.2-3)
- Do not focus on him
- Trust God, Jesus, and His Word as you follow the Holy Spirit (John 14:1, 6; 17:17; Rom. 3:4)
- Talk to the Father throughout your day (Luke 18:1; 1 Thess. 5:17)
- Focus on the Lord (Heb. 12:1-2)
Throughout Your Day:
- Praise God in prayer as you walk.
- Seek the Holy Spirit’s guidance.
- Go to a place where the enemy has great influence. Claim God’s power and presence on that place to reclaim that ground for His glory.
- Be aware of the tendency to focus on the enemy. Immediately refocus on the Father, our Lord, and the Holy Spirit.
- What did you experience today?
- Did you experience any struggles?
- Did the enemy hinder you in a specific way?
- How did you respond?